Re: [tetex-3.0] beta for tetex-3.0, release plan for Debian packages?

Olaf Weber <olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Allow me to clarify a bit.

Thank you.

> On the other hand, the interface that people are expected to use has
> been fairly stable, which means that most programs should continue to
> work when the library is upgraded.  'kpsewhich' is special, it has to
> be an exact match with the library version.  But I believe the other
> programs in the web2c suite will continue to work even if the library
> is upgraded.  However, using a program that with a "downrev" version
> of the library is definitely asking for trouble.

In Debian, we also have a couple of other programs that use
libkpathsea3. Most of them or all TeX-related; but of course the
upstream development is not necessarily synchronized with web2c
progress, and even if it is the synchronized version might not yet be
packaged for Debian.

> So at present my advice is that it's better to be safe than sorry, and
> enforce that the version of libkpathsea matches the program's version.

>From a Debian point of view, I think there's an other reason why we
should have libkpathsea3 as a separate package even after tetex-bin
switched to libkpathsea4: There are numerous packages that declare a
"Depends: libkpathsea3". Since no sane developer will change this to
libkpathsea4 without extensive testing, just because we drop him/her a
mail, we will probably have such dependencies for a couple of months
after sarge is released (and for sure in sarge should tetex-3.0 make it
into it).

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie