Re: current state of cm-super

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Oops! I didn't say Computer Modern. I said the fonts that Knuth used in
> Concrete Mathematics (those which are included if one uses the beton
> and euler package).

Ah, I misunderstood you.

> I think that a subset of the the Concrete Mathematics fonts are called
> Euler, but I'm not sure. I think that they are quite readable -- even
> more than Computer Modern (the Concrete Mathematics fonts feature blob
> serifs and have high x-height and cm-super includes them).

AFAIUI, Euler is the name of the mathematical font used in the book
_Concrete Mathematics_. The text fonts used in this book, designed by
Don Knuth and derived from Computer Modern (but looking rather
different), are called the Concrete fonts.

When you \usepackage{euler}, you are telling which mathematical font you
want to use (Euler). When you \usepackage{beton}, you are telling which
text font you want to use (Concrete, which is supposed to match Euler
well since it was precisely designed to go with Euler).

I suppose you are interested in Type 1 fonts for the T1 encoding. If you
want Euler, no problem. You can for instance \usepackage{lmodern} and
\usepackge{euler} at the same time. But you may find that the Computer
Modern (well, Latin Modern, which is supposed to be extremely close)
text font doesn't go very well with Euler. So, perhaps you want to use
another text font in T1 encoding and Type 1 format. If that font is
Concrete, then it is true that it is found in the cm-super package
(sform*.pfb, sfosl*.pfb, etc.) and not in lmodern.

--
Florent