Re: [tetex-3.0] beta for tetex-3.0, release plan for Debian packages?

On 16.03.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:
> > On 26.02.04 Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:

Hi all,

> >> One major issue is that libkpathsea has a new soname,
> >> libkpathsea.so.4 Since many packages will want to link against
> >> libkpathsea3, we will have to provide a legacy package for them.
> >>
> > No I guess not. We have just to find out, which packages link to
> > libkpathsea3 and start to file bug reports against these packages
> > as soon as libkpathsea4 has been uploaded. The packages normally
> > just need a rebuild. Yes, this will take time and we shouldn't do
> > that if we know, sarge is just a few weeks ahead.
>
> This would be ideal. It the world is less ideal. It's not only a
> question of timing. It might also be that programs don't work with
> the new versin. Olaf Weber said that in fact binary compatibility
> cannot be guaranteed between different web2c versions that alls
> generate libkpathsea.so.3, because libkpathsea wasn't designed to
> be a shared library at all.

If we know that, we should do exactly what I suggested to make sure,
these packages do even build. Well, I'm not sure, what is better:
binary incompatible packages due to the changes in the lib and the
legacy package or packages, which don't compile due to the changes.

> >> The files can be obtained from http://people.debian.org/~frank/
> >>
> > I've got my CD with teTeX-beta today and I'll have a look at your
> > work.
>
> The orig.tar.gz's I use in my diff gz have been generated in the
> following way:

I guess the md5sum will not be the same anyway. I guess, I have to
use patch.

> P.S. How was skiing? Lots of snow, I guess.

Yes, much more better than last year. More snow and not that ice
covered.

H.
--
Q:	What is the sound of one cat napping?
A:	Mu.