Re: questions regarding patch-tmp

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>> The Debian packages do that? Ugh...
>
> Do you mean
>
> +TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFOLDLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
>
> should be something like
>
> +TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFOLDLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
>
> ??  Well, my fingers had moved without my permission...

Well, I didn't really mean anything precisely, 'cause I don't have much
time to study the matter right now. I was only expressing my surprise to
learn that the efforts to keep ls-R up-to-date were rendered useless due
to that feature.

But if the huge TEXMFMAIN tree has !! by default in front of it as your
mail seems to indicate, then this "problem" is vastly mitigated. The
other trees are generally much smaller. I would not be opposed to having
!! in front of the others because I think that if you modify a texmf
tree yourself, you should know what you are doing, but I'll leave that
up to your ultimate judgement if other factors (like many false bug
reports) lead you to prefer the current way.

> Does !!$TEXMFOLDLOCAL, which might not exist in normal cases
> and only there for backward compatibility, cause no problem?

I don't know. This can be tested or simply left without the !! since as
you say, this tree is deprecated.

--
Florent