Re: arabtex and tetex 2

frank@kuesterei.ch (Frank Küster) wrote:

> The new arabtex only contains one file (or rather directory) less than
> the old. And new tetex contains one link more than the old, the same
> file.

Ah. This is too simple. The new arabtex is broken on tetex 2. Have a
look at its postinst:

,----
| #!/bin/sh -e
|
| PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
| DVIPSCONFIG=/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config
|
| if [ -e /usr/bin/mktexlsr ]
| then
|     mktexlsr
| fi
|
| if [ -x $DVIPSCONFIG/updmap ] && [ -f $DVIPSCONFIG/arabtex.map ]
| then
|     cd $DVIPSCONFIG && ./updmap
| fi
`----

The updmap interface changed between tetex 1 and tetex 2. That is why I
insisted in my previous mails on the "*if* the new package can be made
to work with tetex 1 and 2"...

In tetex 2, /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/updmap does not exist.
arabtex.map will not be registered. Also, about the /usr/bin/mktexlsr
test, Policy says:

,----
| Programs called from maintainer scripts should not normally have a
| path prepended to them. Before installation is started, the package
| management system checks to see if the programs ldconfig,
| start-stop-daemon, install-info, and update-rc.d can be found via the
| PATH environment variable. Those programs, and any other program that
| one would expect to be on the PATH, should thus be invoked without an
| absolute pathname. Maintainer scripts should also not reset the PATH,
| though they might choose to modify it by prepending or appending
| package-specific directories. These considerations really apply to all
| shell scripts.
`----

That is why I used calls such as "mktexlsr || true" in lmodern.postrm.
(also, it should be -x, not -e... and what is the point of testing
/usr/bin/mktexlsr if you call mktexlsr?).

>> You have to make sure that 2 will work.
>
> It will. (I believe, and am currently testing)

The package can perhaps be installed, but will be broken anyway.

> yes, but there's no use in making sarge's arabtex work with woody's
> tetex, is it?

Not much, IMHO. And considering the current situation, the priority
would be to have it work with sarge's tetex first...

--
Florent