Licenses of tetex and its parts

Hi all,

a couple of days ago we had bug number - err, don't know, and right now
I'm offline. The one that argued that licenses of individual parts of
tetex should be documented in our copyright file.

Anyway, I started looking at the licenses of tetex's parts. Very soon I
ran into problems...

First of all, from where is the copyright information in
tetex-{base,bin}-$version/debian/copyright taken? It states that tetex
is under GPL, but LICENSE.texmf and LICENSE.src, respectively, in the
upstream source have a different text. Is the wording of our copyright
file just outdated, or have I missed something?

Bye, Frank

P.S. What about the idea of putting together a package
tetex-2.0.2-nowfree which contains files that previously have been
removed from tetex (or Debian) due to license problems, but now are
freed?

P.P.S

This is the content of LICENSE.texmf, LICENSE.src is similar:

The files within this directory are all free software. Most of these
files here are copyright by some author(s), but I have taken care that
the following conditions are true:
  - all files can be distributed: no license fee is required.
  - using these files (even for commercial purpose) is not restricted.
  - modification of files is allowed and the distribution of subsets.
    of these files are allowed; but, please check the individual license
    before doing that (you might need to mark changes in some way or
    rename modified files and some files might only be distributed
    together with other files)

If you find any file that violates any of these conditions, please report
that to me.

February, 2003, Thomas Esser

te@dbs.uni-hannover.de
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie