Re: upgrade to 2.0.2-4 in debian/testing and config-files

[...]
> There is a couple of files in /etc/texmf/ on my system which don't have
> any significance. What about renaming existing files in /etc/texmf/$file
> to $file.dpkg-old if they are no longer used by TeX, in postinst?
>
> Here, this would apply at least to texmf.cnf (which I personally was
> aware of) and language.dat (which I wasn't), and most probably to
> updmap.cfg, and fmtutil.cnf.
>
> Confusingly, modes.mf is not under /var, only in /usr/share/... and
> /etc/texmf.
>
> And why is mktex.cnf handled differently, i.e.
>
> $ readlink /var/lib/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf
> /etc/texmf/mktex.cnf
>
> Furthermore, I would suggest to add some lines to README.Debian in
> tetex-bin:
>
>  *** README.Debian.orig	Thu Jul 31 13:42:23 2003
> --- README.Debian	Thu Jul 31 13:55:40 2003
> ***************
> *** 3,8 ****
> --- 3,14 ----
>
>   TeX binaries built from teTeX-src-*.tar.gz
>
> + Note that the binaries get their configuration from
> + /usr/share/texmf/web2c, which is a link to /var/lib/texmf/web2c, not
> + to /etc/texmf/. Files in /var/lib/texmf/web2c will be generated by
> + scripts using your settings in /etc/texmf/*
> +
> +
>   Note on update-texmf:
>   ====================
>   - to customize texmf.cnf, create an appropriate file (or files) in
>
> ******************************
>
> However, looking at modes.mf and mktex.cnf, I'm not so sure this is
> correct...
>
> Thanks, Frank

Hello Atsuhito and Frank,

you are of course absolutely right, I didn't notice that texmf.cnf is created
automatically -- I should have read the header. Well, I know the
debconf-process asked me some questions and I misunderstood them since I
thought it tries to parse the old texmf.cnf file and tries to create a new
file by using the old options. I'm really sorry about that.

However, I also agree with Frank to rename unused files to $file.dpkg-old.
Furthermore I would suggested to either create a README in /etc/texmf or a
*.README for all files that are generated automatically in /etc/texmf, so
e.g. /etc/texmf/mktex.cnf.README and put there the description how to modify
mktex.cnf-file once again.

Thanks a lot for your help,
	Bernd