Re: upgrade to 2.0.2-4 in debian/testing and config-files

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> From: Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@pci.uni-heidelberg.de>
> Subject: upgrade to 2.0.2-4 in debian/testing and config-files
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:45:39 +0200
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> I recently upgraded our tex-packages to the newer version. Now, after a few
>> days I noticed that our old configuration files in /etc/texmf are simply
>> ingnored.
>>
>> So after some stracing I found out that those files are read from
>> '/var/lib/texmf/web2c'!
>> E.g., we made some changes to '/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf', this file still exists,
>> a newer file in '/var/lib/texmf/web2c' also exists, but only the file
>> '/var/lib/texmf/web2c' is used.
>> IMHO, it is quite unsual to have configuration files within the /var directory
>
> Well, it was moved under /var because it was not user editable file,
> and its contents was varying according to the packages installed,
> and if it was under /etc a user could misunderstand that it could
> be editable directly (like you? ;).
> (You should modify texmf.cnf through modification of files in
> /etc/texmf/texmf.d/ and run update-texmf; which was explained
> in texmf.cnf itself)

I completely agree with Atsuhito. However, I also am very much used to
edit files under /etc, and looking at the situation on my system I get
more and more confused.

There is a couple of files in /etc/texmf/ on my system which don't have
any significance. What about renaming existing files in /etc/texmf/$file
to $file.dpkg-old if they are no longer used by TeX, in postinst?

Here, this would apply at least to texmf.cnf (which I personally was
aware of) and language.dat (which I wasn't), and most probably to
updmap.cfg, and fmtutil.cnf.

Confusingly, modes.mf is not under /var, only in /usr/share/... and
/etc/texmf.

And why is mktex.cnf handled differently, i.e.

$ readlink /var/lib/texmf/web2c/mktex.cnf
/etc/texmf/mktex.cnf

Furthermore, I would suggest to add some lines to README.Debian in
tetex-bin:

 *** README.Debian.orig	Thu Jul 31 13:42:23 2003
--- README.Debian	Thu Jul 31 13:55:40 2003
***************
*** 3,8 ****
--- 3,14 ----

  TeX binaries built from teTeX-src-*.tar.gz

+ Note that the binaries get their configuration from
+ /usr/share/texmf/web2c, which is a link to /var/lib/texmf/web2c, not
+ to /etc/texmf/. Files in /var/lib/texmf/web2c will be generated by
+ scripts using your settings in /etc/texmf/*
+
+
  Note on update-texmf:
  - to customize texmf.cnf, create an appropriate file (or files) in

However, looking at modes.mf and mktex.cnf, I'm not so sure this is
correct...

Thanks, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie