Re: epstopdf produces rotated images (sometimes)

On 19.12.03 Steve M. Robbins (steven.robbins@videotron.ca) wrote:

Hi,

> The fix turned out to be setting GS_OPTIONS=-dAutoRotatePages=/None
> before running lyx.  Thanks hugely to Hilmar Preusse for this tip,
> which I found in the discussion of bug #199511.
>
> Hilmar went on to say that "AutoRotatePages=/None" was present in
> older versions of epstopdf is not always desirable and was removed at
> some point.  Could someone point me to documentation: what exactly
> does this option do and when is it not desirable?

In the documentation of gs I found the hint that AutoRotatePages is a
parameter of Acrobat Distiller, so maybe you can find more about that
option there. Further I don't know, when it is not desirable. I don't
often work with epstopdf, I've just seen that bug and then started
googling for it. I found the hint in the german Usenet and in the
changelog of epstopdf that this Option is not more hard coded in the
perl script. The discussion went further and some people discussed
about expanding epstopdf and having a configuration file, where you
can set these kind of global options, but then the discussion died
and AFAICS no further action happened. On CTAN you can find a beta
version of epstopdf by anybody else so I'm not even sure that Heiko
is still the maintainer of epstopdf.

> The reason I raise this is that I'd like to see one of two things
> happen.  The best option is if the rotation could be eliminated by
> passing -dAutoRotatePages=/None, either conditionally or
> unconditionally.  If that's not possible, then a hint somewhere
> like the manpage would be much appreciated.  I'm willing to help
> with either option.

Unconditionally could be done by setting GS_OPTIONS. Conditionally,
well, by giving that option to gs ;-). As I said, in the moment I
don't know who is the author of epstopdf and is he different from
the author of the manpage.

H.
--
Where's the man could ease a heart like a satin gown?
		-- Dorothy Parker, "The Satin Dress"