maintenance of teTeX(vague impession)

Hi all,

Now I tried to package the beta version of tetex-bin
and came to think how to maintain teTeX more efficiently.

We modified original sources to fix bugs and some of
them would be adopted by the upstram and others not.

This might be very annoying when we will upgrade to
new upstream version because adopted modifications
by the upstream might cause possible conflicts with
cvs-upgrade or so.

And not adopted modifications will be very likely to be
lost unless we will do upgrade very, very carefully.
(and the same bugs might be reproduced...)

I think vaguely that modification should be more clarified
in some methods and should be classified in packaging
related stuffs (like Makefile.in etc. and debian/rules etc.)
and other stuffs, for example.

About tetex-base, I found that Debian package's orig.tar.gz
is not that of original tar.gz but perhaps the stuffs of
tetex-base/texmf/* might be those of (expanded) original source.

This is not so good situation, I feel.

I welcome any comment and/or advice.

Best regards,		     2002/9/5

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>