New debian/rules for tetex-base

A while back, I mentioned that I'd rewritten the debian/rules file
for tetex-base to take advantage of some of the nice features of
debhelper that we weren't using.

I also combed through the logic of the script, cleaned up some
bits that I didn't think we needed or that I thought could be
handled more elegantly, and commented the thing like crazy so that
anyone looking at the script for the first time would have a
better chance of understanding what was going on.

I still haven't submitted that version of the file to the CVS
repository, however, because it still has a few problems.  The
main one is that there are some overlapping directories, because
there are some empty directories left in some of the packages.
(As we know from a recent bug, there are hordes of empty
directories installed by the tetex-base package as it stands, so
maybe the new script leaving empty directories isn't quite as bad
as I think.)

Anyway, the fix for the empty directoies syndrome is probably
pretty easy.  I suspect that we could probably get away with some
sort of find job, ala

   find debian/tmp debian/tetex-doc debian/tetex-extra -type d
   -empty -exec rmdir {} \;

Maybe using the -p option to rmdir would be a good idea, as we
wouldn't have to run the find job multiple times.  Or maybe
there's a more elegant way of doing this task.

In any case, I've been meaning to work on this for about a month,
but never quite found the time.  I've also now got a shiny new job
complete with an office that was used as a storage closet (and is
still full of servers) and a bunch of machines set up in crazy
ways, so I may not have the time to work on this stuff for a
while.  Once I have things working more smoothly, I hope to be
able to work on Debian stuff at work (at least sometimes),
probably on machines that are way faster, with more bandwidth and
disk space than I have at home -- in the meantime, though, I have
to budget my time a bit.

As I see it, the options available to us are

  1. I just hang on to the modified debian/rules until I have time
     to work on the empty directory problem

  2. I commit the changes, and someone else can work on the
     problem

  3. I commit the changes on yet another branch, and we just
     ignore it for now

Some feedback would be useful in deciding which course of action
to pursue.

Thanks!

   CMC

 Man cannot be civilised, or be kept civilised by what he does in his
	    spare time; only by what he does as his work.
			     W.R. Lethaby
  C.M. Connelly               cmc@debian.org                   SHC, DS