Re: Debian tetex distrib.

Dear Frank,

First of all, I don't know the Debian teTeX distrib as I have my installation
based on TeX-Live. I assume they are the same with respect to the content,
they differ (slightly?) in tree structure.

On Thursday, March 1 f.b.brokken wrote:

> /etc/texmf/language.dat
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/language.dat
>
> one of them being a link. In both normal files I uncommented the `dutch'
> line(s), and got
>
> dutch       nehyph1.tex
> dutch       nehyph2.tex
> dutch       nehyph3.tex
Those are the (old) 7-bit patterns of which you want to use nehyph2.tex.

> (in /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/language.dat) and
>From lookin at that directory I'd say that file is part of Polish LaTeX?
Why do people include other distribs in their own???

> dutch       nehyph2.tex  % or nehyphx.tex
>
> (in /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat)
Ok. That's the one to use.

> Next, I included a4dutch in my .tex file, and ran it though latex. I got:
*No*, now that you have changed the contents of language.dat
you need to run initex to create a new latex.fmt file:
initex latex.ltx or tex -ini latex.ltx
Only then will the dutch patterns be loaded into the format.
The problem is that TeX can only load hyphenation patterns at initex-time.

Good luck!

Johannes Braams