Debian tetex distrib.

Dear Christoph and Johannes,

    I'm lost, and call to you for help. I've installed the tetex distribution,
and want to use the dutch style, in order to be able to use the
Dutch hyphenation patterns.

    In /usr/doc/tetex-base/README.Debian I read:

- If you want to use dutch hyphenation patterns and uncoment the line
  dutch in language.dat you first have to install tetex-nonfree which
  includes the hyphenation patterns for dutch.

    I first installed tetex-nonfree, and then looked for language.dat, and
found

/etc/texmf/language.dat
/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/language.dat

one of them being a link. In both normal files I uncommented the `dutch'
line(s), and got

dutch       nehyph1.tex
dutch       nehyph2.tex
dutch       nehyph3.tex

(in /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/language.dat) and

dutch       nehyph2.tex  % or nehyphx.tex

(in /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat)

Next, I included a4dutch in my .tex file, and ran it though latex. I got:

! Package babel Error: You haven't defined the language dutch yet.

See the babel package documentation for explanation.

This is very frustrating: I'm just a (La)TeX user, not a LaTeX guru or wizard
and unfortunately don't know how to `define a language'. The language.dat
files don't give me any clues either. Next, I went to the babel docs (I guess,
as LaTeX doesn't give me a hint either) in /usr/share/doc/texmf/generic/babel,
and looked there for `define' and `defining' in the textfiles. No helpful
replies here either.

I'm sure I'm getting into the babel area now, so that's why I CC'ed the mail
to Johannes Braams (maybe one of you can help me out?): in babel's
install.txt.gz no `define' or `defining' is found. Now I'm getting VERY
curious how I'm supposed to know how to `define a language'....

Install.txt.gz tells me:

        When you install the babel system you have first to decide
        whether you want to make a new format file. If you don't, you

But how can I know this? Let's go for the worst, and assume `yes', so I start
with step 1:  run the file babel.ins through TeX. I do `locate babel.ins' and
get no reply from locate. That's nice. Since step 2 talks about `hyphenation
patterns', and since that's what it's all about, and since step 2 depends on 1
(apparently), I'm now completely stuck, and have no other option left but to
call for help.

    I hope you answer my call...

--
    Frank B. Brokken
    Computing Center, University of Groningen