Re: xdvi of tetex-bin in potato

Hi all,

> But as I said first, in potato there is /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper
> intermediate the links of alternatives (can you understand this
> explanation?).
>
> Is the advise of Denis effective even in this situation?
> (I think to test it later by myself but if someone knows
> the answer, please tell me the answer)

Well, I tested but unfortunately it did not work as expected.
Even if I rebuild xdvik-ja with

    update-alternatives --install /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.bin \
               xdvi.bin /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.real 40

update-xaw-wrappers creates the following links;

nsx:~$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.bin
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jul 19 11:50 /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.bin -> /etc/alternatives/xdvi.bin
nsx:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/xdvi.bin
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Jul 19 11:50 /etc/alternatives/xdvi.bin -> /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper

and /usr/sbin/update-alternatives shows the following;

nsx:~$ /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display xdvi.bin
xdvi.bin - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper
/usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.real - priority 30
/usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper - priority 50
/usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.real - priority 40
Current `best' version is /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper.

I do not understand well how /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/wrapper
works but it seems xdvi calls original xdvi.real in any case.

I guess perhaps this is because tetex-bin puts its config file in
/usr/lib/xaw-wrappers/config/tetex-bin (isn't this rather obsolete,
is it?) and /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/XawWrapper.pm seems to read
/usr/lib/xaw-wrappers/config/ after /usr/share/xaw-wrappers/config/
where xdvik-ja puts its config file.

In anyway an advice of Denis works perfect in woody so
I will request it later but it does not work in potato
which is the main issue at present!

So I return to the original request of modifying xdvi script

if [ X$LANG = Xja_JP.ujis -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.bin ] ; then
exec xdvi-ja.bin $NAMEOPT ${1+"$@"}
else
exec xdvi.bin $NAMEOPT ${1+"$@"}
fi

Is there any ideas or comments?  I strongly desire that
Debian can provide the command name 'xdvi' as default
DVI previewer even for Japanese in potato.

Best Regards,			2000.7.19

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>