Re: xdvi of tetex-bin in potato

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 07:49:24AM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 08:55:06AM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > But many applications assume the DVI previewer as 'xdvi' so
> > > the command name 'xdvi-ja' causes many troubles for Japanese
> > > users.  There might be many ways to fix this problem, for example,
> > > alternatives but there should be little time (or no time?) left
> > > for us to change packages so I think the above is the best way.
> > > This is really a strong request of Japanese users.
> >
> > Hi Atsuhito,
> >
> > i do not understand your point. What's wrong with xdvik-ja using
> > standard alternatives instead of its own?
>
> Sorry for my poor explanation.  Okay I try to explain
> once again.
>
> Well I assume that everyone here admits that the standard
> name 'xdvi' is necessary for a default previewer of DVI files.

Yes

> And tetex-bin provides 'xdvi' already so xdvik-ja package
> provides 'xdvi-ja' command which is the default DVI previewer
> of Japanese.
>
> So we Japanese need to change 'xdvi-ja' to 'xdvi' by some
> method.
>
> One solution is that both tetex-bin and xdvik-ja packages use
> 'update-alternatives' and this might be the best.
>
> But to adopt this solution, tetex-bin should rename 'xdvi'
> to 'xdvi-tetex' or something else and provide 'xdvi' through
> update-alternatives with priority 10, for example.
>
> Also xdvik-ja should provide 'xdvi' through update-alternatives
> with priority 15(?), for example.
[...]

But they already provide alternatives. In tetex-bin.postinst
   update-alternatives --install /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.bin \
              xdvi.bin /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.real 30

I definitely do not understand why xdvik-ja has
   update-alternatives --install /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.bin \
              xdvi-ja.bin /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.real 25
instead of
   update-alternatives --install /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi.bin \
              xdvi.bin /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.real 25
(or any other priority)

Removing /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja, /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.bin and putting
the above line in xdvik-ja.postinst should do the trick.

Denis