Problems with Latex in Debian

Dear Christoph,

I maintain a student lab with 18 Debian workstations. We need Latex for
our day-to-day work. It seems like you are the maintainer for package
tetex-base. I have not been able to find answers to the following
question form the local gurus, and was hoping that you might be able to
help.

Most figures in compiled documents come out rotated by 90 degrees
counter-clockwise.  I've tried it on my RedHat box, and some Sun
machines, and it works correctly on those.

I have attached a sample.tgz, which contains:

	* Latex document
	* 2 figures used in the document
	* Makefile
	* output from "dpkg -l"