Re: Help please.

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:31:26PM +0200, settimio di cori wrote:

> Hello.
> I downloaded and installed the tetex-base, tetex-bin and tetex-extra
> packages.
> Whenever I try to open a *.tex file I get the message "Cannot find
> latex.fmt file".
> Do I still need additional packages? Do I need to run some kind of
> configuration before Tex and Latex are fully functional? Maybe it's as
> simple as specifying a PATH where the font definition files are kept.
> I'm a real Linux newbie and some detailed instructions on how to solve
> this problem would be sincerely appreciated.

Which version of teTeX did you install?
LaTeX cannot find the latex.fmt file, so either a) it exists (type
`locate latex.fmt' to see if it exists) but is not found by TeX, or b)
it has not been created when installing, or c) i don't know.
For (a), it may be caused by erroneous environment variables.
What says `env | grep TEX'?
For (b), type `texconfig', select `Formats' and tell us what errors are
reported.

Denis
NB: all these commands must be run from a terminal shell, quotes are not
part of commands, and you must be root to run texconfig.