Help please.

Hello.
I downloaded and installed the tetex-base, tetex-bin and tetex-extra
packages.
Whenever I try to open a *.tex file I get the message "Cannot find
latex.fmt file".
Do I still need additional packages? Do I need to run some kind of
configuration before Tex and Latex are fully functional? Maybe it's as
simple as specifying a PATH where the font definition files are kept.
I'm a real Linux newbie and some detailed instructions on how to solve
this problem would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Mino
mino59@mindspring.com