Re: Conflicts/Replaces and dpkg

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Christoph Martin wrote:

> Denis Barbier writes:
>  > I did not read any clear statement on debian-devel about the problem
>  > reported by Josip.
>  >
>  > Whatever the solution is, teTeX must be installed after dpkg is
>  > upgraded. So i feel like we could remove the search of old TeX packages
>  > in tetex-*.preinst.
>  >
>  > Any comment?
>
> Ok. But I think it will not go into potato.

Hmmm, i believed these bugs prevent upgrading from slink.

> We'll do it for woody. There are some more things to
> consider/do/change here.
>
> - new teTeX version (from upstream)
> - splitting in smaller parts
> - remove texi2html from teTeX
> - search for all config files and move them to /etc/texmf/.../
> - suid (perl) scripts
> - ...

[this is also an answer to a previous post from C.M. Connelly]

While you are talking about splitting tetex, here are some ideas from
Benjamin Bayart. This French guy build his own TeX distribution
<URL:http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/TeX/FDNTeX/> by writing some scripts to
automate generation of RPMS from sources taken from CTAN.

This sounds very attractive, but i did not have time to discuss
seriously with him. My point of view is that we could use the TeX
catalogue (available at CTAN/help/Catalogue) --a XML database
containing information on all packages on CTAN-- and mix it with a
second XML database containing information on how to generate Debian
packages.

Denis