broken package : tetex-base

Hi,

Adam Di Carlo had suggested to me to uninstall and reinstall all of
the tetex* packages, in order to get the docbook and jade packages
properly configured.

It was a complete mess, because some of the files present in the
debian package were not installed in their directories. I had to alien
these packages to tgz, in order to get these files installed.

this was with tetex-bin-1.0.6-5.tgz, tetex-base-1.0-9.tgz and
jadetex-2.7-3.tgz.

))======================================================================
)) I was puzzled now with a message after using jadetex, which said that
)) the file psfonts.map could not be opened.
))======================================================================

In fact, the file psfonts.map exists as a symbolic link, but the real
file is not built in the installation process.

boltz:/home/georgesk/tmp# tar tzvf tetex-base-1.0-10.tgz | grep dvips| grep config| grep psfonts
lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2000-04-12 15:52:35 ./usr/share/texmf/dvips/base/psfonts.map -> ../config/psfonts.map

The most puzzling fact is that there was a file named
/usr/local/share/texmf/dvips/base/psfonts.map.dpkg-new during the
preinstallation phase, which disappeared completely after the
installation...

Hmmm... perhaps because of a wrong partition scheme on my disk I was
forced to create /usr/local/share, and a soft link
/usr/share --> /usr/local/share ? It might be the gotch'a. But I have
no idea about allowing a good installation.

here are the workarounds which I had posted to Adam Di Carlo about the
installation of the tetex* packages last week :

------------------8<-----------------------------------------

Following, a list of errors :

1/
	/usr/local/var/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf was a soft link to a
	non-existent /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf

	I extracted it from tetex-binxxx.tgz

2/
	/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps did not exist

	I extracted it from tetex-basexxx.tgz

3/
	/usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf did not exist. The problem
	arose when hand-installing tetex-basexxx.deb, but the relevant
	files where found in tetex-binxxx.tgz !

4/
	kpsewhich could not find modes.mf

	I extracted it from tetex-basexxx.tgz

5/
	creating JadeTex memory dump ... fmtutil.cnf not found

	I installed it from jadetex-xxx.tgz

	... a lot of other errors...

	I installed all the content of /etc/texmf/jadetex from the
	tgz.
--
Georges