Re: Current bullseye security and stability

Em [2021-01-14 qui 16:08:43+0100], MichaIng escreveu:

> I can only agree, running some Bullseye systems as well since Buster was
> released, not facing any relevant issues.
> [...]

Thank you Micha and lucas.  I have then upgraded my notebook to bullseye
and so far it has been pleasant indeed.

> And as you mention "unstable"/sid: Do not use it if it's not for
> testing (I mean help testing new package implementations on a test
> system) or development reasons. It's easy to run into a dependency
> mess or that suddenly large parts of the system are upgraded to sid
> packages. It's a development playground, not meant for production
> systems. It should be pretty fine to wait until a certain software
> version has reached the "testing" (currently Bullseye) suite, where
> dependency integrity and a basic testing by maintainers has been done
> already.

So you recommend avoiding sid even for specific package minor-version
upgrades with security fixes?

The Debian wiki says otherwise.  See
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting#Best_practices_for_Testing_users

I currently follow the Debian wiki advice.  I carefully monitor the list
of installed packages from unstable, to avoid unintended upgrades.

Regards

--
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.