Re: Networking Broke on Upgrade

On Monday, May 21, 2012 5:39:53 AM dE . wrote:
> On 05/21/12 01:24, Casey Bralla wrote:
> > Sorry for the vague nature of this report.  I'm not sure what the root
> > cause is, or the critical package, but a recent update to Wheezy/sid
> > testing has broken networking.
> >
> > I had been using a static IP address on 2 separate AMD64 systems, with
> > several NFS mounts.  After doing a general update and rebooting the
> > system, networking did not start on either machine.
> >
> > Typing "ifconfig" listed the lo device only.
> > Typing "ip address show" yields:
> > 1: lo: (stuff I did not record)
> > 2:  eth0:<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
> >
> >        link/ether (MAC Address I didn't bother to recorded)
> >
> > The work-around is to use dhcp to assign the IP.  ("dhclient eth0")
>
> Also try ifconfig eth0 up.

"ifconfig eth0 up" by itself did not work, but I was able to reestablish normal
networking by manually starting it with ifconfig and route.  Then I could get
my NFS mounts working again.   However, the settings in
/etc/networking/interfaces for eth0 are still beiing ignored. <sigh>

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation