Re: Networking Broke on Upgrade

On 05/21/12 01:24, Casey Bralla wrote:
Sorry for the vague nature of this report.  I'm not sure what the root
cause is, or the critical package, but a recent update to Wheezy/sid
testing has broken networking.

I had been using a static IP address on 2 separate AMD64 systems, with
several NFS mounts.  After doing a general update and rebooting the
system, networking did not start on either machine.

Typing "ifconfig" listed the lo device only.
Typing "ip address show" yields:
1: lo: (stuff I did not record)
2:  eth0:<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
       link/ether (MAC Address I didn't bother to recorded)

The work-around is to use dhcp to assign the IP.  ("dhclient eth0")

Also try ifconfig eth0 up.