Re: No 'self life' of packages.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:56:30AM +0530, dE . wrote:
On 10/11/11 18:56, Dominic Amann wrote:

> QA of Ubuntu is too bad, Mint is basically the same thing. So I have
> only Debian at hand but I was also working about OpenSuse.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying out Stable for this purpose, and also checked out
> apt pinning, but it's not much useful. Backports of
> Iceweasel/Chromium is missing for e.g. and they're horribly
> outdated.

Here is how I handle this very same situation,

1. Iceweasel & Opera,

deb     http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release
deb     http://deb.opera.com/opera/ squeeze non-free

2. Chromium - just download the google-chrome stable .deb from
   google.com, it then automatically keeps up to date via
   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome-list, which contains,

### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

Good luck,
--
Jeffrey Sheinberg