Re: Going from lenny to testing, I encountered a dependency problem with udev-158-1.

I had similar problems, which unfortunately I did not record. I just went back to Lenny to "watch this space".

Geoff

Toon Moene wrote:

[ Over the past nine years, I've made several
  install-official-release-from-CD/DVD switches to 'testing', so I know
  that in general, it works. ]

So I installed lenny without any problems (AMD64 release).

Because the installation recognized my ethernet card, it recommended to use internet based mirrors to continue the installation.

I choose ftp.nl.debian.org (but that is probably inconsequential).

The installation completed smoothly; at that time I had in my /etc/apt/sources.list (after I commented out the cdrom entry):

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.4 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20100131-22:09]/ lenny contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.4 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20100131-22:09]/ lenny contrib main

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib

Then I changed the first active entry by replacing lenny by testing and commenting out all the others.

Subsequently I did:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This gave me about 1200 new and updated packages, *among which* linux-image-2.6.32-5 and udev-158-1.

Unforturnately, when unpacking udev-158-1, dpkg complained that a (pre- or post-processing) script indicated an error while unpacking (--unpack).

I don't have the original text anymore, but it complained about udev-158-1 being incompatible with the running kernel.

This sounds rather illogical to me - the whole idea of package management is that it can deal with the dependencies of the packages *to be installed*, not what you happen to run at install time.

Because the install phase had already managed to update quite a few packages, the resulting system was unusable and I had to reinstall lenny.

It now seems I'm stuck with lenny - or is there a work-around ?

[ BTW, I did try to only do apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-5
  udev-158-1, but that failed in the same way. ]

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Kind regards,