Re: rtc not behaving in etch?

On Sunday 01 October 2006 22:15, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> >During boot on my Etch machine (Dell PowerEdge 830 with an Intel Pentium D
> CPU
> >2.80GHz), during boot, there is a message about select() timing out
> >on /dev/rtc.  That message displays twice, a few more messages, then there
> > is a message about "trying to set the system clock again."  I've looked
> > through the syslog and dmesg, and these messages are not in there.  Or
> > else I'd post the exact messages. :)
> >
> >Ah, a google search found the exact message for me:
> >select to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
> >
> >But no solution.
> >
> >Has anyone seen anything like this.  Is it something to be worried about?
>
> Hi Joshua,
>
> I have a similar case, Dell D420 with core duo, SMP enabled kernel.
> Actually in my case, RTC works rather fine, but suddenly can stop after
> some time (probably after some suspend to ram cycle). I get same behaviour
> and same error messages. I cannot restore system clock after suspend to ram
> with hwclock.
>
> Do you have same problem also without SMP kernel? I didn't try yet, but
> many of my problems have been only on SMP kernel.
>
> Have you found already some solution?

No solution, sorry to report.  I went to Ubuntu Dapper, and used the -server
kernel, and all was well.  Oddly enough, I still had this trouble with their
stanard -i386 kernel, so it's something in the way the kernel is configured.
I've not dug any deeper, so I don't know the root cause, but all I know is I
now have it working for me. :)

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111