Re: testing upgrade = dog's breakfast

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 08:47 -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> On Friday night I updated a stable box to a testing box. Afterwards:
>
> 1. Lilo was promoted to the default boot loader

First off, are you using XFS as your root filesystem? If so, there is a
problem with grub detecting things properly and it freezes the XFS
improperly when installing itself. Therefore LILO would be the default
booter on that.

> 2. I was running a 2.4.18 kernel (instead of the 2.6.12 kernel under
> stable)

Well, that tells me you at one time were running Woody, or are now... a
kind of pseudo downgrade may have happened. What does your
"/etc/apt/source.list" look like?

> 3. Gnome panels don't work, so I'm stuck in KDE

Well, I had a similar problem when going from GNOME 1.4 to GNOME 2.0
(and 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6 and 2.8 and 2.10 and 2.12 and not with 2.14)

It took removing the GNOME user config settings to get GNOME back.

> I updated the lilo.conf file to include the 2.6.12 kernel. Under that
> kernel
>
> 1. the network doesn't come up. (It does after I use modprobe to load
> the appropriate ethernet driver
> 2. The mouse seems to have had a nervous breakdown.
> 3. When I try to unstall grub, it can't find the stage1file that I
> can
> using ls.

Previous isn't important to your problem... because it is a symptom of a
greater problem.

> I realize that testing is not stable (that's why there are two
> different names), but this is the sort if behavior I would expect from
> sid (alpha test?) instead of an obstensibly beta test set.

Actually if you really think about it there are Currently 5 active
distributions of Debian right now.

             1. Old Stable: 	Woody
             2. Stable: 	Sarge
             3. Testing: 	Etch
             4. Unstable: 	SID (Still In Development)
             5. Experimental: 	Experimental

Old Stable is what I think you have back-graded to... maybe not, but
something is a miss. We'll need to see your "sources.list" and any
"apt.conf" or "preferences" files you may have in "/etc/apt"

> I should also point out that stable installed exim, instead of exim4
> so I had forzen messages for 8 weeks under mutt. This is under stable.

Well, if you had installed Sarge or Etch, they would have upgraded your
Exim v3 install to Exim v4. I've done the transition a couple of hundred
times, it has never failed me except on a hand crafted config.

Check my other reply to your "grub and lilo" thread. It'll help you get
grub back as the default bootloader.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.