testing upgrade = dog's breakfast

On Friday night I updated a stable box to a testing box. Afterwards:

1. Lilo was promoted to the default boot loader
2. I was running a 2.4.18 kernel (instead of the 2.6.12 kernel under stable)
3. Gnome panels don't work, so I'm stuck in KDE

I updated the lilo.conf file to include the 2.6.12 kernel. Under that kernel

1. the network doesn't come up. (It does after I use modprobe to load the appropriate ethernet driver
2. The mouse seems to have had a nervous breakdown.
3. When I try to unstall grub, it can't find the stage1file that I can using ls.

I realize that testing is not stable (that's why there are two different names), but this is the sort if behavior I would expect from sid (alpha test?) instead of an obstensibly beta test set. I should also point out that stable installed exim, instead of exim4 so I had forzen messages for 8 weeks under mutt. This is under stable.

Art Edwards