Re: re evolution

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 01:44:23PM +0100, Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
> hello,
> Just to make sure:
> Is the testing branch the one that comes after
> unstable, or is it the other way round?

Here's my understanding:

Packages are allegedly debugged (almost no one can *really* debug, as
testified by security upgrades) and places into unstable/sid.  Since the
developers mostly (I melieve) build and test their packages on
unstable/sid, we can expect their declared  dependencies to be satisfied
in sid.  But the packages are sometimes not fully debugged and sometimes
just fail to work properly.  So the package manager will have little to
complain about, but the user might.

> I had many discussions with friends, and it seems
> noone can say for sure which is the most rapidly
> changing distro.
>
> As far as I know, testing is not so oftenly changing,
> and the code is believed to be somehow more "stable"
> than the experimental unstable. That is why packages
> from testing are getting into stable after some time.
>
> Then, why is it, very often, it happens to
> applications to totally "stuck" in the testing branch
> after dist-upgrade?
>
> It happened with evolution now, and it has happened to
> other apps before.

Once packages look good enough, and all their dependencies do too,
they are
moved to testing.  So more debugging will have been done, and the users
will have fewer conplaints.  But the dependencies (either what the
package depends on or what other packages depend on it) may not all have
been checked properly (after all, lots of stuff has different
versions between testing and sid), so the package manager will have more
complaints.

On occcasion, packages have been promoted to testing even though they
were known to break dependencies.  This happened last fall in the
transition to xorg and the new c library -- waiting until *every*
obscure package had been recompiled and stabilized for testing would
have unduly delayed the main sunsystems like KDE and gnome.  So I
read on the mailing list, anyway.

Once in a blue moon or so, an entire distribution is deemed to be
'stable', replacing the previous stable distribution.  This is
apparently done by changing a few symbolic links in the package
repositories, so no new incompatibilities arise within the distribution
by making this change.  So the newly-deemed-stable distribition really
remains stable.  But people who update their systems from 'stable'
instead of from 'woody' or 'sarge' or 'etch' will find huge changes
occuring at that time.

> Thanks & Regards,
> -Nikolay Kichukov

You're welcome.