Re: Kernel 2.6.12-1-686

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:52:32PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 01:33:27PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > I'm sorry, but this really is not the right list for this discussion.

> > The charter of this list is:

> >   Users testing Debian

> >   Finding problems with the next Debian release: testing the installation and
> >   the upgrade process.

> > This does not make it the right place to ask about any and all problems
> > you're having with your etch system -- it's specifically for feedback about
> > testing of testing. :)  If you are looking for support for your kernel,
> > please use one of the user support mailing lists (debian-user or
> > debian-user-portuguese, depending on language of preference); if you believe
> > you have found a bug in one of the packages maintained by the Debian kernel
> > team, please use debian-kernel@lists.debian.org or file a bug.

> This has always confused me slightly.  Why have debian-testing and
> debian-release?  What you describe as the charter of debian-testing
> seems like it goes more aptly with debian-release.  Why not consolidate
> or, at least, rename debian-testing?

Because debian-release is a role contact address for the release team and a
list for internal coordination of that team -- it is neither intended for
general consumption, nor would it be an appropriate maintainer address for
the upgrade-reports pseudopackage in the BTS.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer