From: Judd Tracy [mailto:jtracy@ist.ucf.edu] Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:36 PM
To: Roberto C. Sanchez
Cc: SmartList
Subject: Re: Can't reach the Gigabit barrier

You also have to remember that you only have 32bit pci, so you will never acheive anything close to full speed with your current
motherboard.

Judd Tracy

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Steve Ramage wrote:

I have a small server at the specs are as follows

Duron 900
Gigabyte GA-7ZM
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
1x 120 GB HDD
1x 200 GB HDD
Two networks cards:
1x D-Link DE-528TX (10 Mbps)
1x Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter (1000 Mbps)
I just added the Intel Pro/1000 adapter, as a replacement to an older
D-Link DFE-538TX ( 100 Mbps)
<SNIP>

If I run: ping -f -s 60000 172.27.2.27 from the three machines and
target my Windows machine, the other machine with a 1 Gbps card, I
can
get about 45%, usage out of the network, according to windows, so the
<SNIP>

Have you considered that with a low end 900 MHz and slow FSB (133 MHz)
that you are going to have a hard time filling a Gigabit pipe?  Think
about it.  Gigabit represents ~125 MB/s.  I have a similar low-spec
machine and have a hard time getting more than ~70 MB/s across the PCI
bus.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez