DVD Ripping --

Q) What do all these applications have in common?

Konverter
DVDRip
acidrip
foorip
lxdvdrip

A) Every damn one completely LOCKS up my system.
    They run anywhere from 2 or 3 minutes to almost
    an hour but they all end the same way.

Result:
  Absolutely no keyboard or mouse availability so
  I can only recover by hard reboot.. via reset button

Is there any debian patch or glitch that I'm not aware of?  I might suspect
the application if it were just one, but ALL of them exibit the same
behavior...

Any ideas at all?

TIA...
mike..