ffmpeg mpa encoder missing.. where??

Trying to move my DVD's to 4.7gb disks is IMPOSSIBLE..  Guess I'll just use
the old damn video tapes when we go to the beach house on the weekends!!!

ok...  maybe not...  but I'm REALLY tired of chasing my frigin tail over this
damn topic...  (pardon my french but I'm really pissed over this)

here it is, Yet Another in an ENDLESS line of missing codec...

[export_ffmpeg.so]: INFO: Display aspect ratio calculated as 1.333333
[export_ffmpeg.so]: INFO: Sample aspect ratio calculated as 0.888889
[encode_ffmpeg] mpa codec not found !<<<<<<<<<<<<----------------------------
[transcode] warning : (encoder.c) audio export module error: init failed
[transcode] critical: failed to init encoder

Google dug up a solution that said to compile ffmpeg from source..
I got the ffmpeg source and compiled but still missing mpa codec...

I promise you...  after over two weeks of 'fu??ing' with this I'm almost ready
to spend 40.00 on windows software and move my DVD to my windows box...  This
is just TOOOOOO damn frustrating considering a 12 year old can do it in that
crapy *dow$ OS and I can't do it no matter how hard I try in linux...
SHIT!!!...

history:
  already tried:
     acidrip, dvdrip, qdvdrip, dvdauthor, gmencoder, kmencoder (never
installed and developer never answered my mail), foorip, and any others you
can possibly think of...  They all fail misserably one way or the other from
COMPLETELY locking up my box that requires a hard reset to just not living up
to they claimed they would do...

Pls...  any help at all is appreciated...

mike
houston, tx