Re: intermittent audio.

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:00:07PM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2005 12:38 pm, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Audio works perfectly when it works, and continues to work at
> > least until the audio user logs out.
> > Oftern, though, it doesn't work.  Not sure what the cause is.
> > Rerunning alsaconf and accepting all the default choices usually
> > fixes the problem.
> > Any theories?
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> No help but wanted to voice my similar problem.  I called it the debian sarge
> sound altzheimers problem because it seemed to keep forgetting it's settings
> all the time :-(.  I never really got any help from forums or Chat but sorta
> stumbled on this little thing that seemed to solve my problem.
>
> What helped was going into BIOS and disabling AC97 sound.  MB is a gigabyte
> GA7DX ... Also interesting note, I learned alsa starts up with the sound
> muted by default.  You have to either use alsamix or whatever you want to
> 'unmute' it.

If the problem is that alsa sound controls are back to the default,
check if you have installed the alsa-base package, that one is
responsible for saving and restoring the mixer settings (volume+mute)
iirc.

I vaguely recall having had that problem ages ago, when I thought I
didn't need that package coz I compiled my kernel myself.

Greetings
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom