Oracle s driving me crasy

ok so here my pb
I have a ORACLE 10g server on a DEBIAN testing and I
can access the guy on port 1521 from my other machine
(also using debian testing) from a database browser
and everything's fine
I m using netbeans IDE 4.0 with jdk 1.4.2-7
I downloaded the jdbc drivers for 10g : ojdbc14_g.jar
I put it in my everyday desktop (not the server) and
as i said I just add the jdbc driver and I can browse
the DB.
But when I try
"import oracle.jdbc.driver.*"
the compiler returns

/dbtest/src/dbtest/DbTest.java:2: package
oracle.jdbc.driver does not exist

but i set the CLASSPATH and in the menu i can even see
the oracle classes associated with my program
also i cd into the ojdbc14_g.jar directory and type

java -classpath . /dbtest/src/dbtest/DbTest.java
and i get the message
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: [...]

Some help?