Re: Ndiswrapper & Linksys WPC11 ver. 4

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 07:57:51AM -0800, Anthony Simonelli wrote:
> Thank you so much for all your help.  I got it working
> great now using iwconfig (after installing
> wireless-tools) and Gnome's Netork utility under
> System Tools.  Does anyone know how to keep the
> settings of wlan0 (i.e. WEP key, ESSID) so that at
> boot, the wlan0 network interface starts up as well?
> I've tried ifcnfig wlan0 commit, but that doesn't seem
> to work.  Is that found in /etc/network/interfaces ?
>
> PS.  sorry for typing kernel-source instead of
> kernel-image
>

> --- Runar Pedersen <runar@thaifoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 06:44:34PM -0800, Anthony
> > Simonelli wrote:
> > > I own an IBM Thinkpad Notebook T22 and I bought a
> > > Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 wireless PC card for it.  I
> > was
> > > running Fedora Core 3 and used Ndiswrapper to
> > install
> > > the wireless card.  I got it working in minutes
> > and I
> > > was able to configure it with RedHat's
> > > system-network-config utility to specify the WEP
> > key
> > > and the SSID.
> > >
> > > Now I am running Debian Testing (Sarge) and
> > decided to
> > > use Ndiswrapper for the card as well.  I installed
> > > Ndiswrapper, Ndiswrapper-Utils,
> > > kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-i386,
> > > kernel-source-2.6.8-2-i386 and used
> > module-assistant.
> > > I then installed the Linksys driver NET8180.INF
> > and
> > > when I do a ndiswrapper -l  it displays that the
> > > driver is installed and the hardware is present.
> > > did a modprobe ndiswrapper and added an alias with
> > > ndiswrapper -m.  Now I don't know how to configure
> > it
> > > because when i used it on Fedora, I used iwconfig
> > > wlan0 and used RedHat's system-network-config
> > utility.
> > >  That command does not exist for some reason and I
> > > find a wlan0 displayed with ifconfig but I can't
> > > configure it.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any idea what steps to take and what I
> > am
> > > doing wrong?  How do I configure the network
> > interface
> > > wlan0 (ssid, wep key, etc.)?
> > >

> > > --
> > listmaster@lists.debian.org
> > >

> > You find iwconfig in the wireless-tools package.
> >
> > apt-get install wireless-tools
> >
> > rgds
> >
> > Runar
> >

> > --
> > dangerous content by Internet KSC. MailScanner,
> > and is believed to be clean.
> >

> > --

As suggested before, 'man interfaces' :)

However, add a script to your wlan0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces :
F.ex.:

iface wlan0 intet dhcp
	pre-up /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/config-wlan0

then make the script accordingly :

####  config-wlan0
#!/bin/bash
iwconfig wlan0 essid
iwconfig wlan0 channel
iwconfig wlan0 mode
### ..etc

Make the file executeable ('chmod 744 config-wlan0')
bring the interface up by doing 'ifup wlan0'

btw. this is probably not the right list for such things. Instead, I suggest using the debian-user mail list.

--

ack!