Re: 2.6.8 Kernel and SCSI Emulation

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:12:42PM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Justin
>
> > 2.6 Kernels do not need scsi emulation (as 2.4 do).  You need to
> > use the cdrecord argument dev=/dev/hdc (or other, as appropriate).
> > As it indicates, such device specification is an unofficial patch
> > to cdrecord (which IMHO works wonderfully).
> > You then need to find a GUI that uses cdrecord appropriately:
> >   Lacarno: xcdroast found my drive and knows to use ATAPI
> >   mode
>
> Not quite sure I fully understood that so I'll ask one more
> question...
>
> Looking at /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord I find..
Never used that file:)

When I toast a CD, I use command line cdrecord:

	mkisofs $OPTIONS |cdrecord -speed=32 -dev=/dev/hdc -v

This takes advantage of 2.6 support for ATAPI CD writing, rather than
emulating a SCSI device.  Whatever GUI frontend you use, if any, needs
to call the cdrecord backend appropriately (with such an -dev
argument, not the /dev/scsi_emulated_cd_drive one).

Justin