[Snip]
>> hjem:~# cat /proc/interrupts
>>            CPU0
>>   0:     245696          XT-PIC  timer
>>   1:       4577          XT-PIC  keyboard
>>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>>   4:      40606          XT-PIC  serial
>>   8:          4          XT-PIC  rtc
>>  10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
>>  11:     150964          XT-PIC  nvidia
>>  12:       9411          XT-PIC  Ensoniq AudioPCI, eth0
>
> Well right here is your problem ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>  14:      36507          XT-PIC  ide0
>>  15:         22          XT-PIC  ide1
>> NMI:          0
>> LOC:     245670
>> ERR:          1
>> MIS:          0
>
> Is the 3c905c an actual NIC or is it built-in on the motherboard?
>
> I used to use 3com cards all the time. Then the 3c905a/b debacle with
> Microsoft "demanding" 3com change the PnP/PCI configuration process.
> Supposedly "fixed" in the 3c905c cards. NOT! Made it even worse, Windows
> couldn't use them without resetting the PnP config in BIOS and forcing
> removal of the NIC(in windows) and replacing any cached "INF" files in %
> WINDOWSROOT%/INF, before you reset the BIOS. This only happened on a few
> machines. Usually the ones that had a problem NIC (earlier 3c905) and
> was replaced by the vendor with the 3c905c.
>
> This really killed any respect for 3com with me. The worst part of the
> problem, your NIC never gets fully initialized by Linux... nor Windows.
>
> Sure it works, but not great. The only way you can make more sure that
> the card is init'd properly is:
>
>         In BIOS, there should be a setting that says "PnP OS Installed"
>         or "OS is PnP ready". Change it to NO. That way the BIOS fully
>         initializes the PCI Bus and anything else needing it.
>
> The best alternative I now use, if you like these cards, is the Intel
> cards supported by eepro100 or e100 or e1000 modules. I have also used
> successfully the cards supported by 8139cp, 8139too, pcnet32, sis900,
> sk98lin, via-rhine, via-velocity.
>
> You can run modinfo on the various modules I mentioned and get the alias
> line and look those up for manufacturers and card models.
>
> First try the BIOS thinger. If that doesn't help, look at
> the /proc/interrupts and see what is sharing with eth0. If sharing
> jiggle the cards around until the sound an eth0 don't share.

I had no idea 3Com and Microsoft could make such mistakes and NOT do
anything about it... Just another reason not choosing Microsoft (and
3Com)!!!

The PnP option in BIOS is allready set to NO, checked that a month ago. I
will try to jiggle around the cards, hoping in any way they won't interupt
eachother...
>From what you have told me now, I'll just replace the 3Com NIC in favor of
a new card if the jiggling won't help.

>From here I can manage on my own...