Re: Getting some packages back

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 07:25:16PM -0500, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> Ok, in light of all these, when and how should a user know whether or
> not to dist-upgrade ?

By reading the output of "aptitude dist-upgrade" instead of blindly hitting
"enter"?

> But what I could not understand is *why* was the so-called working version
> of k3b/kaffine removed ?

Because all packages that depend on C++ libraries and are built with g++-3.3
are *also* RC-buggy, in that they can't be rebuilt from source using the
current toolchain.  We can't afford to postpone the C++ ABI transition
indefinitely waiting for a handful of optional packages that don't yet have
working g++-4.0 versions.

In spite of the fact that lots of people would probably miss it if we
released etch without k3b, dropping k3b and kaffeine from testing and
letting the rest of KDE in brings us closer to a releasable state again.