Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken: udev

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Prashant Kumar wrote:

A deeply troubling question: why did dist-upgrade break my system in this
manner?
Hi
I know your problem was solved, but still very surprided about this
breaking of system.
BTW did you do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade before apt-get
dist-upgrade ?

I did 'update' but not 'upgrade'. My reading of the manpage: "in addition to performing the function of upgrade, [dist-upgrade] also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages" suggested that using 'upgrade' would be folly when 'dist-upgrade' does the same thing more intelligently. So I went with 'dist-upgrade'.

I believe the only dpkg problem here (aside from udev's dependence on a kernel upgrade) is that udev's kernel dependency was NOT LISTED as a dependency, but only as an error condition in a configuration script.

Also a problem [for me] is that there is no Debian package for my wireless card driver (acx100.sourceforge.net). But that's a matter for another list...

-Brandon