Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken: udev

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Peter C. Norton wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:08:52PM -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
TIA,
Brandon

Download the kernel you need, dpkg -i that kernel-image reboot into
that new kernel, and then re-run the dist upgrade is how I see it.

-Peter

Is there an easy way to download .deb files without having to find them on the Web? apt-get won't do it because there are broken dependencies and I can't find any force options in the man page. I tried connecting to the ftp site listed in my sources.list, but all I found there were *lists* of packages, not the packages themselves.

As a result, I am having to search for the files, download them to another computer and transfer them. However, I expect that upgrading the kernel is going to require me to download more packages to solve more dependency problems and I would like to know a shortcut.

Also, the package on debian.org has the suspicious name:
linux-image-2.6.12-1-k7_2.6.12-6-i386.deb
is it i386 or k7?  Is this normal?

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Brandon