Re: Strange problems, maybe related to glibc6

Hi Koos,

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:33:58PM +0000, Koos . wrote:
> If I bypass starting up ntop, the problem will manifest after a while,
> normally it walks trough the runlevel and gdm starts up fine and I can work
> for a very short period of time.
> However, after a while, some programs tend to hang. When this happens I can
> no longer log in as root. (It hangs) And then on a working root terminal,
> which I had already, if I try 'su' it asks for the password and after I
> press enter, noting happens, just goes to the next line. Ctrl+c get me back
> to the prompt.
>
> I am puzzled, I had Debian working for a long time and last week I started
> to get the problems, looks like out of nowhere actually.

hm, looks to me like this might be a hardware problem. I once had a problem
with my notebook freezing after a while working with Debian/testing. I first
thought it might be related to APM/ACPI but this wasn't the fact. As I moved
the notebook, I heard something rattle, so I removed the back cover and
there was a little screw lying on the mainboard. It must have caused a
short-circuit now and then I assume. I removed it and never had any problems
since.

I suggest you take a Knoppix CD or another live CD and let some hardware
tests run, maybe starting with memtest. Knoppix also has cpuburn (burn* are
the executables) installed IIRC. Compiling some kernel is sometimes
suggested, too.

But maybe some libraries or executables got corrupted. You can do something
like this to check this:

$ (opwd=`pwd`; cd /; find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ -type f -name "*.md5sums" \
  -print0 | xargs -0rn 1 md5sum -v -c 2>&1 | tee $opwd/md5test.log)

$ grep -v "OK$" md5test.log | less -S

Don't be alarmed by

etc/*
usr/bin/perldoc (if you have perl-doc installed)
usr/{bin,share/man/man1}/auto{conf,header,reconf}* (multiple versions
installed)

Some files under etc might not be readable by an ordinary user.

Do a

$ find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ -type f -name "*.list" -print0 | xargs -0r grep \
  path/to/failed/file

to find out to which package the file belongs and reinstall that package.

You can do the checks with Knoppix, but then you have to change the paths
accordingly.

If you have problems reinstalling a package with Knoppix, ask again. :)

Greetings,
 Mike