Re: I cant get sound working in sarge

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 11:50:28AM -0600, Robert D Young wrote:
> I have tried everything i can find to get sound working i am using
> kernel 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org that seems to be working perfectly
> i built the alsa-source package that didnt help.
This is not necessary; alsa is included in the 2.6 kernel.

> i an using udev not devfs.
Good, but also not necessary.

> i want to use the optical out for stereo
I don't know anything about it;

> abit nf7s v2.0 motherboard  nvidia nforce2
Run lspci to figure out what card you have.  Then figure out what the
kernel config calls it, and enable compilation of that driver (as a
module, or inline).  You'll know it works when /dev/dsp exists (I
guess it won't exist until it works, because you have udev, no?)

You might find this useful to grep the kernel Kconfig files for 'foo':

  grep -Hi 'foo' $(find -name Kconfig)

Then read the given files and figure out which option controls that
driver.

> it works with windows
> i will supply any information if needed
lspci would be useful if you can't get the above to work.

Justin