Re: aptitude and source packages

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 06:58:38AM +0100, Mike Dornberger wrote:
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:35:15PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > What do I have to do to get aptitude to install a source package for me?
> > I spent half the morning trying things and searching documentation with
> > no luck.  I do have a deb-src line in my sources.list file -- the very
> > one that sarge installed when I installed it.
>
> I'm not sure if aptitude was designed to do that. Use

Does anyone kjnow for sure that it doesn't do source?  I am relying on it
to keep track of package dependencies, and have been reading the warnings
about bypassing it.  But if it doesn't manage source packages, that's really
not a problem.

If it's true that aptitude doesn't do source packages at all,
perhaps that's why I couldn't find out how to do it.  Perhaps it should
be mentioned somewhere in the documentation that it doesn't do source.

It does appear to manage kernel-source.  Is that different?

-- hendrik

> apt-get source pkg
>
> instead. You may need to to
>
> apt-get update
>
> first. I don't know if aptitude uses the same files as apt
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ (?)) It didn't somewhere in the past. You may also need

I believe aptitude uses apt, but maintains additiona state.

> apt-get build-dep pkg
>
> first or you may not be able to successfully compile the package.

Didn't know that one.  Thanks.