slapd / OpenLDAP causes login to hang

I have the following problem:
I set up a PC with Debian Sarge a week ago, configured to provide user
information   via LDAP. Used libnss_ldap + Heimdal to authenticate
users on the clients.
without changing any configuration files - the login process on the
server system suddenly locked up (99% CPU usage), when I tried to login -
no logins possible any more.
When I don't launch slapd on the startup OR
when I disable my ethernet card, login works fine.
As soon as slapd and the ethernet card are both running - certain
services like login, or Midnight Commander lock up as soon as they
start.
There are no unusual log messages, neither for slapd nor by the
hanging processes. Slapd itself isn't producing an significant CPU load
and serves LDAP- Requests just as usual.

slapd doesn't produce any significant network traffic (as reported by
ifconfig)
removing libnss.so / libkrb5.so from the PAM files doesn't change
the problem.
Sometimes - but not always - everything works fine, when I tell slapd
to bind only to one IP address and one port on my ethernet interface.

Could be something wrong with my routing- configuration (didn't change
the defaults provided by Debian yet)
I'm really worried about that.

My current Configuration:
AMD Athlon 2.400, Debian 3.1
slapd 2.1.30-3 - included with Sarge
tried Kernel 2.4.27 and 2.6.8

Thank you for any help regarding this problem
mazimp