Re: Getting Debian Sarge to full software RAID-1; 4 GB virtual memory...

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:29:03PM -0500, Frank P. Hart wrote:
> I have a dual-processor P3 system with two equal-size SCSI drives attached
> to an Adaptec AHA2940U2W controller.  I recently installed Debian Sarge (28
> Feb 2005 snapshot) and tried to configure a complete RAID-1 system at the
> time of installation.  It didn't boot from RAID-1 though, probably because
> the kernel (2.6.8-2-686-smp) had RAID support set up as a module ("m")
> rather than included ("y").  So right now my root+boot is not on a RAID-1
> device, but the other partitions (swap and rest on a physical volume under
> LVM) are on RAID-1.  However, I have an equal-size partition reserved for
> root+boot on /dev/sdb that is ready to be RAIDed.
>
> I don't have a lot of extra investment in customization, though, and with
> that in mind, I'd like advice on which way to proceed to get to get my
> root+boot on RAID-1.  Since I'll have to create a custom kernel anyway, is
> there any way I can specify/include that kernel during a re-installation
> (would be practical if the kernel fits on a floppy)?  Or would I be better
> off keeping the installation I have and fixing it with the mdadm tools?
> Basically it's a question of which way is lower hassle.  Note that I'm a
> newbie to Linux installation and administration, but have been a *nix user
> for many years.
>
> One other question:  I have 2 GB of DRAM and I specfied a 2 GB swap size.
> I'm hoping to get 4 GB of virtual memory.  But I used a tool by DJ Delorie
> (used previously in Cygwin) that says I only have 2 GB of virtual memory.
> I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to fix this, too, or other (more
> reliable?) ways to check the amount of virtual memory Debian thinks it has
> available.

The standard sarge installer has the oppotunity to install on a raid
root device. Just set the partitions to "use as raid" in the partitoner,
and mark the newly created raid device (md0) as root. It should work
(and it does in my case) with the stock kernel and initrd.

So compiling your own isn't really necessary.

Regards,
Elton Algera