Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Hi

I have following problem, When I try to use mysql it allways says like:

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication
protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

I've installed every package directly from apt-get install method ( ofcourse). I'm using Sarge. Here is my installed packages for mysql:

hobbit:~# dpkg -l | grep mysql

- libdbd-mysql-perl   2.9003-3
- libmysqlclient10    3.23.56-2
- libmysqlclient12    4.0.23-7
- libmysqlclient14    4.1.10-1
- mysql-client-4.1    4.1.10-1
- mysql-common-4.1    4.1.10-1
- mysql-server-4.1    4.1.10-1
- php4-mysql          4.3.10-8

When I try to remove the oldest? libmysqlclient10 3.23.56-2 apt also want's remove mysql-server & mysql-client etc. packages and if I let apt to do that and then try to install those back libmysqlclient10 comes again??

Yes I have to use mysql 4.1.x because "old" databases are unfortunatelly that format

So what can I do to get things work?

City.fi:n huippusuosittu kulttipalvelu nyt myös matkapuhelimeesi.
Peilikuva on myös WAPissa! http://www.city.fi/mobiili/peilikuva/