libnss-ldap permission problem upgrading package

Hi!
we have a samba server for sharing files and printers and authenticate against a LDAP server in the same machine. The document i read to do that said me that i have to change the permissions attributes for the file /etc/libnss-ldap.conf (which originaly is 600) to 644. When upgrading the package (we've installed the debian sarge package) this permissions changed without asking me for doing that. As a result, only the unix file /etc/passwd database is asked when
i do "getent passwd" (so, the users in the ldap directory aren't shown).
chmod 644 /etc/libnss-ldap.conf  solves the problem.

My question is if there is any special (security) reason to restrict so much this file, i know that it can have the bindpasswd inside but... it's usually to access anonymously to the ldap directory and if
the system require this config file to be world readable...
I don't know, but i cannot advide why it works so.

thx if anyone replys!

Regards,
Xavi

PS: i lost 3 hours searching why the users cannot authenticate in the samba server, so making an advise
when upgrading would be usefull, doesn't it?

PS: I've made a "dpkg -L libnss-ldap" and it shows me that it provides a man page for libnss-ldap.conf
file so i thought that it was a problem of this package, sorry if not.