no keyboard when installing 2.6

I have been having a problem getting my ps2 keyboard to work under the 2.6 kernel. The keyboard works fine with the 2.4 kernel.

I have tried to install the 2.6 kernel two different ways.

1. I built a new 2.6 kernel from source. It boots all the way to the console login (not using X), but pressing the keyboard does nothing. All the LED's light up, and the CAPS lock doesn't even work.

2. I've tried the netinst 2.6 kernel. It boots to the CD and I type "linux26" (or expert level), and at the very first menu I have no keyboard control.

This same machine with same keyboard works fine with the 2.4 kernel.

Anyone know what is causing this?

thanks,
Joe