Re: No fd0

From: Jeff Goodman <jeff@waysoft.com>

> Thanks, Shawn.  I'm smacking myself for not doing this in the first
> place.  In my (feeble) defense, though - I assumed that the FD=m kernel
> parm would have caused the floppy module to be automatically loaded
> when required.  In the teach-a-man-to-fish spirit, can you (or anyone
> else) explain where my thinking went wrong?

You probably assumed that there is some connection between the presence
of /dev/fd0 and presence os floppy dirver in kernel. There is none.
It is a common mistake made by people who do not know how unix devices work.

/dev/fd0 is just a file. Nothing more , nothing less.
It "points" to the floppy driver. Which may exist or may not.
The fd0 file is not automatically created or removed. It is just a static
file. It is there, if someone created it and is absent if someone deleted
it ( or it never was created in the first place ).

This (traditionail) behavior is changed by automatic dev filesystems like
devfs, udev etc...

Some people dislike them, they are not fully developed yet and therefore
they do not work perfectly yet.

Regards,
xerces8